Saturday, May 3, 2008

Some garden photos - and a rant

I noticed how pretty the trees in my backyard were looking.

The apricots have already blossomed - I'm hoping that the sudden drop in temperature a couple of weeks ago didn't damage them.

However the cherry and peach trees are looking good, and we have a little colour in the front yard too.


And to change the subject completely, I couldn't believe what I saw at the fruit and vegetable store today. Potatoes, individually wrapped in plastic. The label said that by microwaving them in the plastic wrapper, you'd get that great oven-baked taste!

OMG, I was not impressed. I have recently been making an effort to avoid bringing excessive plastic into my house and will generally choose the loose produce over the prepackaged stuff, putting it into my cart as it is, or in a net bag that I made. This gross example of overpackaging and unnecessary use of resources amazed me - as did the price. These potatoes were a bargain at two for $3. And they weren't that big. Someone is making a big profit on those.

In addition to the wastefulness, I was grossed out by the thought that people would be putting these in their microwaves (which should have been outlawed a long time ago) and cooking them in the plastic, which is known to transfer harmful chemicals to the food. I feel a letter to the store coming on.

3 comments:

Joanne said...

Ewww..yeah, that is definitely letter worthy!

Nan said...

OMG! It's funny you should mention the plastic wrapped potatoes, I saw them last week in our store too and thought it was such a stupid thing to do, wasteful and potentially toxic. Then I though who in the right mind would buy that, and sadly realized SOME one must, because they wouldn't sell them that way if no one did. Sigh

Louise said...

I am always surprised at how many people just don't use real potatoes. To cook them in any way really take no time at all, and you know what your eating. x