Friday, November 21, 2008

Spicy muffins


Some friends came over today, so I splashed out and did some baking! This is a recipe I've had in my messy kitchen recipe file for years and it reminds me of gingerbread.






For 12 muffins, you will need a muffin pan, 12 large paper cases, and...

2 cups flour (I used whole spelt)
1 tblsp baking powder
half tsp salt
2 tsp dried ginger
one and a half tsp cinnamon
half tsp nutmeg
half cup sugar
half cup molasses
1 tblspn soyflour + 2 tblspn water
one third cup oil (I used coconut)
1 cup soymilk (or almond)
optional - three quarters cup of raisins

In one mixing bowl, mix the dry ingredients. In another, mix the wet ingredients. Combine the two, fill the paper cases, and bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees F.

Today is the 14th anniversary of our arrival in Canada. On November 21st 1994, Tai Chi Man and I immigrated here with our 2 year old son. Snow was already on the ground. We rented a cosy cabin at a lakeside resort for the first 6 months, by which time we had finally found a house to buy and Tai Chi Man had found work. The rest, as they say, is history.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

Those sound good...and I loved your gingerbread cookies. Time to get baking!

Nan said...

This looks like a recipe I am going to have to try, thanks for sharing it.

Where did you move there from? If you don't mind my asking? From the pictures you have posted it's a beautiful area and I know you love it from what you have said. I'm glad you have found your contentment there!