Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Socks and weaving


I haven't made socks in a while, but this skein of Berroco Comfort Sock yarn was languishing in my sewing room, so I decided it was time to take the plunge. It always seems to need that extra bit of enthusiasm to start something knitted on such skinny needles. I am even going to put aside my natural laziness and rib the whole leg, and maybe even the instep, to give these socks a bit more "hug". It's a little slower than plain knitting, but I think the result will be worth it.


This odd piece of work was an experiment that my brain came up with one night as I was lying there, waiting for sleep. I used some brown Bernat Satin, knitted up a rectangle on my Bond knitting machine at a large gauge, then used lengths of Lion Brand Homespun to weave back and forth through the stitches.


It was enjoyable to do on a small piece like this, though I certainly wouldn't want to tackle a large project using this method!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That would be really neat for some coaster sets, and you could do all kinds of color combinations. Great job!

affectioknit2 said...

That's really neat - I love that texture!