Sunday, April 6, 2008

A class with Cat Bordhi


I had a very enjoyable day in the company of knitting magician, Cat Bordhi, and about 24 other women, learning how to knit a Moebius.

Cat has written a few books, two of them being A Treasury of Magical Knitting and A Second Treasury of Magical Knitting. How she looked at a moebius and figured out how to knit one is beyond me, but now I can knit one too, and I feel very clever!


If you don't know what a moebius is, it was discovered way back in about 1856. According to Cat, it cannot be found in nature. It is a human discovery - to discover your own, all you need is a strip of paper - put some sticky tape on one end, twist the end of the paper a half turn (NOT 360 degrees) and stick the ends together. Then put a pencil on the centre of the strip and start drawing a line - keep going - all the way around - and you end up exactly where you started. In other words, you have now created a three dimensional object that has one edge and one surface!

After learning the special cast on that Cat writes about in her books (the set up takes a little time to learn and do) the knitting is easy and VERY impressive. Your knitting grows outwards from a central cast on - you have to see it to believe it. You see in the photo below how half of the knitting is stocking stitch and half is reverse stocking stitch? That happens naturally as you knit - there's no purling.


I'm using some yarn that I bought from the store that was hosting the class - Art of Yarn - a bit more expensive than I usually buy. It's Ty Dy from Knit One Crochet Too - all cotton and the colourway I'm using is called Painted Desert.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Wow, that looks like a great class. How fun! I love the colours of yarn. Will it be a scarf in the end?

Nicola said...

Yes, Amanda, it will be a scarf, about 48 inches long. Not sure how wide I'll make it yet.