Monday, April 28, 2008

What's for dinner?


Whenever my kids ask me what's for dinner, I usually say, "Food"! Drives them nuts!!

Anyway, knowing that they like rice noodles, I made a noodle salad today. I thought it looked lovely - I made sure to add lots of colourful ingredients, like radishes, bell peppers, green onions and blanched kale. I made a dressing with olive oil, sesame oil, tamari, lemon juice, ginger, rice vinegar - haven't a clue what the amounts were, I just tossed them in until it tasted right. Pretty or not, the younger two took one look and decided not to eat it!

I also made a lettuce salad and a tomato/pickle/olive salad which were more acceptable.

And the dessert (top of the picture) was only rejected by one kid. I can't give out the recipe as it's from one of my books - Raw Gourmet. But I can tell you that it's a raw version of date squares, but way better than the baked ones. The top and bottom layers are made with almonds and steelcut oats, ground up and mixed with maple syrup (or in this case rice syrup). The filling is made from fresh Medjool dates soaked in orange juice and blitzed in the food processor.

I read in the Vegetarian Times magazine that all almonds have to be pasteurized before consumption in North America because of two cases of salmonella. TWO! What about all the cases that have resulted from people eating flesh foods? Now that the almonds are heated above 118 degrees Fahrenheit, they are not really raw, as they cannot be sprouted. I'd like to be given the choice between raw and unpasteurized. The irony is that if the almonds are being exported, they don't have to be treated. That's nuts!

2 comments:

affectioknit2 said...

That noodle salad looks delicious - just what I think we need for supper! Thanks!

Amanda said...

What the heck? I didn't know that about the Almonds. I would like the choice too. I take offense to some food organization telling me I can't eat someone because two people got sick.... I am pretty sure that two people would have gotten sick from every food out there. Ayayay!. All this time I have been thinking that I have been eating raw organic almonds. Although I must admit that they often have a much harder, brittle texture than fresh raw ones should have.