Saturday, April 12, 2008

Progress - with the sock and the garden


Wahoo, I finished the first sock last night in the Berroco Comfort sock yarn. Being vegan, I don't use wool, so was very glad to find this yarn at Wool and Wicker in Steveston when I was at the coast a few weeks ago. It's 50% acrylic, 50% nylon, so will hopefully be hard-wearing.

Pretty colours. Knowing how one can languish between socks, I immediately cast on for the second sock and have completed a fair amount of the ribbing at the top of the sock.

The weather office forecast 20 degrees for this weekend, and our thermometer did show it reached 24 Celsius on our deck this afternoon. It was hot work, raking the lawn. There were lots of walnut shells (the walnuts that I left on the ground last autumn have been cracked open by the magpies and crows and eaten) and dead leaves, and now that it's been raked and many wheelbarrow-loads have been dumped at the bottom of the garden, it all looks much neater.

I was delighted to see that the violets are spreading further afield too.

I will take my blistered hands (unaccustomed to hours of yardwork!) out there again tomorrow - I think I will be heaving rocks, so that'll be my workout. The weather is supposed to be hot again.

No comments: