Thursday, June 26, 2008

Sumerian clay tablets


I mentioned yesterday that we were planning to make some clay tablets following our reading of Story of the World.

I pulled out the Sculpey - it's actually white, though these photos don't give you an accurate idea of that.

We bought a huge "teacher's pack" of the stuff ages ago and there's still more left in the box.


We had so much fun that we were wondering why we didn't get the clay out more often.


The top picture shows a story by Lego Nut of someone spoiling Christmas (never mind the fact that they didn't have Christmas in 3000 BCE!). The second one is my version of a Sumerian shopping list. The third one is Ninja Boy's story of how early man found out how to put out fire.

The fourth is Lego Nut's racetrack (again rather modern subject matter). The fifth picture shows miscellaneous miniatures, and the last is my disc showing the phases of the sun and moon (don't know whether I had the moon pointing the right way). I also made a little coiled pot, just for fun.

1 comment:

affectioknit2 said...

The sculpy clay looks like a lot of fun - we made something like that in VBS - the kids had a ball with it...