Sunday, June 29, 2008

This week's reading

I found a couple of interesting books at the library yesterday (while escaping from the 36 degrees Celsius heat).

One is called Farewell, my Subaru, An Epic Adventure in Local Living. It's written by Doug Fine, a journalist who decided to buy a ranch (he named it the Funky Butte Ranch - yes really) in New Mexico. I only just started reading it, but it looks like it's going to be a good read...amusing, full of anecdotes and factual tidbits like "The average tomato travels fifteen hundred miles from the field to the table".

The other is written by Paul Watson, the Captain of the Sea Shepherd. This man and ship have been in the news a lot this year...he works tirelessly to stop the the annual Canadian seal killing. The title of the book is Seal Wars, Twenty Five Years on the Front Lines with the Harp Seals. I was protesting about the seal hunt when I was a teenager at school, and it's sadly still going on. It's amazing that there are still seals left to kill - you'd think that people would have wiped them out by now, with a 350,000 quota each year. I am looking forward to reading about his experiences - I have long admired those who take action, get in the front line, spend their time actually out on the ocean in the inflatables, getting in the faces of those who kill intelligent mammals in cruel ways.

No comments: