Thursday, September 18, 2008

The back is done


Today's photo was taken yesterday afternoon, out on my deck. Can you see the orangey tinge to it? The sky went very hazy and the sunlight had a definite orange tint, so I'm thinking there was smoke in the air, though I don't know of any forest fires in the area. (However, I'm not one for following the news, so there could be a raging forest fire just behind the next mountain and I'd be the last to know about it!)

Anyway, I thought I'd show you how close I was to the end of the ball of yarn when I completed the back of the baby top. There's probably no more than a yard left on that cardboard inner tube. This is good news as I will definitely have enough yarn to complete the project.

My calculations must have been a little off, as the length from neck to hem is half an inch shorter than I would have liked. And I knitted four fewer rows to get the 8 inch width from armhole to armhole. So it's a good thing that I did knit the back first, as now I will be sure to place the front neck opening in the right place.

Tai Chi Man is gone for a couple of days to the Kootenays, east of here. He has to take the occasional trip there for work, whether it's fixing, servicing or installing something. Life goes on much the same for the rest of us, except dinner last night was a way simpler affair, and when the kids go to bed after midnight I don't have to keep shushing them and hope they don't wake their dad, who is usually in bed by 10pm!

2 comments:

Nan said...

It's always a relief when you find you are going to have enough yarn after all when you have been worried while you are working on a project. Glad it's working out for you.

affectioknit2 said...

It looks lovely!