Sunday, December 7, 2008

Kettles and kids


Canadian Tire has this kettle on sale for half price this week. We decided to take advantage of the deal, which was advertised in their flyer, as our existing kettle had a damaged lid and had started leaking around the spout. Tai Chi Man had done a repair on it, but this half-price deal seemed to be a well-timed hint that it was time to get a new one.

It has a feature that I like and hope works well....you can set the temperature that you want it to heat the water to. So it's not 100 Celsius or nothing. You can heat it to anywhere between 30 and 100, which is great for things like hot water bottles which can't take boiling water. And we like our hot water bottles!

Talking of boiling water, something happened earlier in the week which I've been meaning to tell you about. I went out to have my hair cut around lunchtime the other day. Before I went out, Ninja Boy put a pan on the stove to boil water for cooking pasta. I left the kids to their own devices and walked up to the salon (yes, nice and close, it's handy having a little shopping centre within a few minutes of our house) and then I walked the "long way home" giving myself a bit of exercise in the process.

When I walked in the door, I was informed that Ninja Boy had attempted to "burn the house down". Ah yes, good news, just the sort of thing I want to hear when I get in!

Turns out he had turned the hotplate to maximum to heat the water, then gone downstairs to watch what Lego Nut was doing on the computer. He promptly forgot that he was making his lunch and even (this is what blows my mind) started on his own computer time once his brother had finished. The oldest went upstairs for a drink of water and discovered a very hot dry pan and a very hot stove. The element had been on for, what, an hour and a half, and nobody had been aware of it all that time. Thankfully nothing was sufficiently close to the heat source to catch fire. And the pan survived.

The vision of fire trucks parked outside my house putting out a fire is not one that I want to see come true.

1 comment:

sheila said...

Oh boy. Lucky outcome that time. You need a picky picky heat/smoke detector right outside your kitchen, like we do. Once I left one of those plastic honey bear containers in a pot of hot water (to un-crystallize) and FORGOT ABOUT IT. Gulp. If that detector hadn't gone off I might really have ruined that pot...