Monday, December 8, 2008

Pajamas and logging trucks

As usual, today was a busy day. Mondays are for vacuuming, cleaning the bathrooms, watering the houseplants, yada yada yada. I think I crossed most items off my to-do list, including this one...sewing Lego Nut some new pajama bottoms.


He had worn a pair of his pajamas through at the knee yet again, leaving him with only one decent pair. So I visited Fabricland yesterday and bought two metres of flannelette. I had asked him for colour preferences before I went - he said blue or black, so this is what he ended up with - a sort of blue on blue check.

I cut the old pajama bottoms up - along the crotch seam and up the inner leg seams, removing the waist elastic and bottom cuff - so that I had a piece I could use for a pattern. I folded the new fabric into four, then cut around the old pajama piece, allowing extra for seams and hems. I have made many pairs of pajamas for the kids when they were smaller, so it didn't take me long to do the sewing. A piece of elastic around the waist and he had two new pairs.

Any more growing and I won't be able to get two pairs of jammy bottoms out of only two metres!

He doesn't wear the tops. They always last longer than the bottoms anyway, but usually they stay in the closet. He'd rather hang about the house with a polar fleece blanket wrapped around him! Today he didn't get dressed at all, but I did insist on him putting on a t-shirt for dinner.


Tai Chi Man drove 400 kilometres today. He had to go further than usual for work and took a new route that he hasn't used before. With the traffic stoppages down in Summerland (they are blasting rock out to widen the road and there are regular AND additional unscheduled road closures) many people have been trying to find alternative routes. Looking at the map, there seemed to be a reasonable road to get him where he wanted to be. It started out OK, but then became a Forest Service Road, which is unpaved, and then things became snowy and icy and steep. It was a bit of a white-knuckle ride for him in the work van, but he made it home safely.

Unfortunately the driver of this logging truck wasn't so lucky. It obviously skidded and overturned (photo taken through Tai Chi Man's windshield). Luckily it didn't completely block the road so traffic could squeeze around it. I hope the driver is OK.

It's nice that after such a long driving day, Tai Chi Man has the next two days off. It's his birthday tomorrow and the family is going out for dinner, and the day after that is our 21st wedding anniversary. He keeps saying he's due for parole!

2 comments:

affectioknit2 said...

I love the jams - I make the Man-Cub's the same way - he only wears old T-shirts for the tops...

K said...

Hey Nicola:

Have you ever read the Soulemama blog? They are an unschooling family ans she has alot of kintting projects and great photos on her blog. I think it is at www.soulemama.typepad.com

Cheers- kelly