Wednesday, December 3, 2008

A quick hat


I wanted a new hat to keep my noggin warm. I had 10 balls of the James C Brett Marble (Landscape colour), 4 of which are being used for the vest. As a break from all the garter stitch, I grabbed two skeins, some #10 needles, and knitted this with two strands held together. I cast on 75 stitches for a 20.5 inch circumference - it's snug - and after the first 9 rounds or so I purled a row to control the curl. Then it was 5.5 inches of straight knitting.

Usually when I decrease for the crown, I line up the "Knit 2 Togethers" and they are easily visible. This time I staggered them to make the shaping more subtle. The first decrease round took out 5 stitches to leave 70. Then I decreased 7 stitches every other round until there were 21 left. The next two rounds were also decrease rounds and then I gathered up the last 7 stitches and wove in the tail.

I can't remember the exact day I started knitting this but it didn't take me long. I made good progress on it yesterday at Knit Night and today I finished it just before a friend arrived for a visit. While she knitted on her seed stitch blanket (this lady has PATIENCE) I added a few rows to my vest.

The temperature's dropped this week - it's supposed to go down to minus 8 Celsius tonight. The next couple of days are expected to stay well below freezing. A good time to knit (and to wear your knitting).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice. I love that yarn.

affectioknit2 said...

That's such a cute hat!