Thursday, July 31, 2008

Knitting books from the library


I have three library books this week which will interest the knitters among you. The first is Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's Things I Learned from Knitting...whether I wanted to or not.

This is quite a small book (perfect perhaps for tucking inside your knitting bag or giving as a gift). It is written in the Yarn Harlot's usual entertaining style. She takes many popular quotes and expands on them from her knitter's point of view. This is a quick read and I'm glad I waited to get it via the library rather than buy it myself.


For the outdoors types, there's this book - How to Knit in the Woods: 20 Projects for the Great Outdoors by Shannon Okey. The book includes tips for how to choose yarn and projects for travelling and how to pack. The patterns are grouped according to type, and include a hoodie, blankets, socks, marshmallow stick holders, a washcloth and hanging towel. I don't plan to make anything from the book, but I can see many knitters enjoying making these projects. Great colour photos.


The Knitting Patterns for Dummies book by Kristi Porter is written in the usual "for Dummies" style. It's black and white except for a colour photo section in the centre. The patterns are very comprehensively explained. The assumption is that you already know the basics of knitting - casting on, binding off, knit, purl, etc (though there is a skills appendix at the end). There are chapters on stitch patterns, colour, patterns using rectangles, triangles, circles. As a fairly experienced knitter, most of the patterns in the book would be simple for me, but I do want to make the top-down ribbed cardigan, if only I can find just the right yarn that'll knit up at 4 stitches to the inch. There are also scarves, potholders, tops, hats, jackets, shawls, bags, baby things, men's sweaters...a good range for any knitter.

No comments: