Friday, August 8, 2008

Arty morning



We have settled into a bit of a routine around here in the mornings. The two younger boys are getting into the habit of expecting some "schooly" stuff, and we're splitting our time between Math, French, English and History, with some handwriting practice mixed in.

They are making slower progress on the Grade 5 math workbook than the previous two. There's been some new stuff to learn with long names, like "prime factorization"! For French, we're using one of our Usborne books and they are writing out all the new words in their notebooks. For English, we have another Usborne book (when I was an Usborne consultant, I decided you could build a whole curriculum around their books) called Better English. And for History, we're reading Story of the World. Now we're on Volume Two, the Middle Ages. We're not doing a lot of supplementary reading, but we have googled a few things, for example photos of the temple called Hagia Sophia in Istanbul, which we had read about. The Story of the World is also sparking some interesting conversations.

This morning, Lego Nut asked for the beading supplies. (I know he's been up to something because he banned me from his bedroom....something to do with my birthday coming up in a couple of weeks.) Once the beads were out, Ninja Boy wanted to play too, and so did I!

I decided that it was therefore going to be an Art morning - forget the academics for one day. Out came the tubes of acrylic paint that Computer Geek had recently cleared out of his room and we enjoyed creating some artwork for the kitchen.

While the kids work, I often knit. I had one skein of Ty-Dy cotton (which in a previous incarnation was my moebius scarf, which I unravelled, and returned the extra unused balls to the store) and I squeezed four dishcloths out of it. I know there are only three in the photo, but the first one was already being used.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

sounds and looks like a wonderful time for all. Really love the childrens artwork. And those dish cloths are cute :o)

affectioknit2 said...

The artwork is lovely and so are the dishcloths!