Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Signs of autumn

I really know that summer is drawing to a close when certain changes start occurring around here. I'm not talking about leaves changing colour. I mean...

...craving hot soup instead of salad
...slipping on my hand-knitted socks instead of going around in bare feet
...putting on a hoodie in the mornings and evenings and looking forward to pulling out the heavy duty stuff - knitted sweaters and shawls
...laying extra quilts on the beds
...awaiting (with a small amount of dread) the email from Self Design telling me I have to get the boys' learning plans written
...enjoying exercising because it warms me up
...choosing jeans instead of skirts or capri pants
...pulling out a blanket for putting over my knees to read or knit on the sofa
...using really hot water to wash the dishes because I'm not already overheated from the weather
...knowing that soon the two walnut trees in the garden will shortly be shedding all their !@#$% walnuts everywhere and I'll have to pick them up.

This Friday will probably be our last beach day of 2008 with our senior friend. We will make the most of it.

1 comment:

Louise said...

I rather like the sound of the walnut problem! It has felt colder here too. Some days I have resorted to popping on a fleece or cardigan, which I would of thought was unusual for August? They have forecast a couple of warmer days coming up, we shall see. x