Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Life...

No photos today, but as I haven't blogged since Saturday I wanted to let you know I haven't disappeared.

Our summer weather has been mostly hot, though every now and again it gets so hot that it triggers a storm and then it cools off a little. We've had a few of them now. Last night's was fascinating. I sat out on the deck (which has open sides but is roofed) and watched the sky. The lightning was flashing every few seconds, brightening the sky and silhouetting our walnut tree. Occasional flashes were so bright they hurt my eyes. The odd thing was that it was far enough away that I couldn't hear any thunder.

My smallest boy was on my lap with his favourite blanket around him and after a while the rest of the family came out and enjoyed the show too.

Memorable times!

The two younger boys and I met our older friend for our weekly beach visit on Monday. I call it my therapy session as we have spent a lot of time talking about our innermost thoughts with each other this summer and I really appreciate being able to do that.

In my knitting life, I am somewhat frustrated at the moment. I have a huge pile of knitting books from the library and am enjoying looking through them for inspiration. My Interweave Knits magazine arrived today and I played hooky from Taekwondo and spent a pleasant hour on the sofa with my magazine instead! I am building up for a big project but I'm not sure what it's going to be yet. This always happens - I take longer to plan it than I do to knit it, I think.

I have ten balls of Marble in the Landscape colourway on order which will be enough to make a sweater, ruana or coat. Maybe I'll knit an Einstein Coat. I have Sally Melville's book, The Knit Stitch, but will I have the stamina for all that garter stitch? Will I make something else entirely? Will I use a pattern or will I design my own so I don't have to make my gauge match someone else's? Ah, decisions, decisions.

Tomorrow, on the way to a friend's house, I am going to call in at a yarn store where I have (a) a $4 plus credit, (b) a $3 frequent shopper coupon and (c) a $30 gift certificate for my birthday. I hope my kids realise that they may be waiting a while so I can decide what to buy!

No comments: